Mock Wrap Dress
Spotlight were having a sale on Butterick patterns the other day so I grabbed a couple, including this one:
I also got some chocolate jersey with a cream floral print which was reduced to $5 per metre. So this was going to be an ideal learning project.
I didn't make any pattern modifications as I wanted to see how the fit would be. I made view A in a size 18.
I did make construction changes as I am still not happy with my edge finishing. So after multiple practice runs on scrap fabric and examining the jersey dresses in my wardrobe I decided to make a band to finish the edges. I also did this to the sleeves.
Side with elastic casing ruching detail:
Back: I had not originally noticed that the back was a wrap as well. My biggest problem with this was the potential it would be too low to cover my bra band, but it all worked out OK, though if I do this again I would prefer a normal back. I will also make longer sleeves, possibly as long as elbow length.
The side front without the ruching. I have tied a scrap of fabric around the waist and I think it gives the dress much more shape. I think I will have to make a tie out of the left over fabric. After looking at the fit if I make this dress again I will lengthen the bodice and possible make a size 16 as the shoulders are a little too wide and the sleeves are very loose.
I am starting to feel a little more confident with my knit sewing. I haven't tackled the hem yet, I think I will give it a run though the washing machine the let it hang and stretch first. I might have to tackle a few more knit projects in my next week off work.
Thanks for looking.
Comments are always welcome.